PCI Webinar with Kathy Barco
Spectacular Displays: Minimum Work, Maximum Impact
Competency: Marketing and Public Relations
Sub-Category: Understands and applies marketing theory and practices
Libraries often have a display case or curio cabinet that contains more cobwebs than collections. Sometimes they also have a blank wall that could easily be filled with fun. In this interactive and fun webinar, Kathy will share:
- Lots of ideas for book-theme displays, based on many years of putting them together in a variety of settings
- Her visual scrapbook/PowerPoint of crowd-pleasing, inexpensive, and not-too-labor-intensive display examples that will inspire attendees to try new methods of grabbing the attention of their patrons (young and old)
- Clever wall designs that can stay up through several seasonal and holiday changes with minimal work
- Jazzy display case tricks designed to draw viewers like a magnet
- Ideas on how to convince collectors to share their treasures!
- Since an effective display is a great way to promote literacy, emphasis will be placed on incorporating books into the scenario. A handout detailing the process of scaling and enlarging designs using a grid will be included.
Kathy Barco- Biography
A former children’s librarian, Kathy recently retired from the position of Literacy Coordinator at ABC (Albuquerque/Bernalillo County) Library. Previously, Kathy was Youth Services Coordinator at the New Mexico State Library from 2001-2006.
Kathy’s accomplishments include:
- Graduate of the School of Library and Information Science at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, MS
- Recipient of the 2006 Leadership Award from the New Mexico Library Association
- Author of READiscover New Mexico – A Tri-Lingual Adventure in Literacy – Sunstone Press, Santa Fe
- Co-author (with Valerie Nye) of True Stories of Censorship Battles in America’s Libraries – ALA Editions; Breakfast New Mexico Style and Breakfast Santa Fe Style – Sunstone Press, Santa Fe