PCI Webinar with Kathy Barco
Banned Books Week: NOW is the Time to Get Ready
Thursday, February 22nd, from 2:00 – 3:00 pm EST
Competency: Public Services
Sub-Category: Library Programming
Are you looking for some new ways to observe this annual library celebration? Kathy Barco will share ideas on how to promote Banned Books Week (September 23 – 29, 2018), including a variety of components to tailor a program suitable for teens and adults. Additionally, she will provide background on censorship, the Library Bill of Rights, and the Freedom to Read.
Very short book talks on books that have been banned or censored will also be included in this program, as well as a description of games based on banned book titles.
Attendees will also learn:
• About some thought-provoking situations involving intellectual freedom encountered by librarians in a variety of library settings
• How to use infographics and images from ALA and other sources
• About several Top Ten Banned Books Lists
• When to expect this year’s list
Kathy Barco- Biography
A former children’s librarian, Kathy recently retired from the position of Literacy Coordinator at ABC (Albuquerque/Bernalillo County) Library. Previously, Kathy was Youth Services Coordinator at the New Mexico State Library from 2001-2006.
Kathy’s accomplishments include:
• Graduate of the School of Library and Information Science at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, MS
• Recipient of the 2006 Leadership Award from the New Mexico Library Association
• Author of READiscover New Mexico – A Tri-Lingual Adventure in Literacy – Sunstone Press, Santa Fe
• Co-author (with Valerie Nye) of True Stories of Censorship Battles in America’s Libraries – ALA Editions; Breakfast New Mexico Style and Breakfast Santa Fe Style – Sunstone Press, Santa Fe
Group (Multiple Log-ins for One Organization):