PCI Webinar with Kathy Pape
Understanding Generational Poverty
How the culture of poverty impacts your library
As a librarian you are probably aware of the poverty that exists within your community, but do you have a firm understanding on how it affects your service and staff? Generational Poverty is a culture that contains its own belief systems and hidden rules of behavior. By understanding this culture and breaking down barriers, you will begin to see ways that your library can be a community leader on the path to breaking the cycle of poverty.
This webinar is designed to be the beginning of a journey that will enable you and your staff to better serve your patrons and gain a greater understanding of a nationwide concern.
In this webinar, participants will learn:
- The hidden rules of poverty, middle class, wealthy
- Understand the difficulty of moving beyond poverty
- Identify what resources are lacking in poverty culture
- Have a better understanding of customer service to the poor
- Obtain reference list for staff, patron, and community involvement
Kathy Pape ~ Biography
Kathy has worked for ten years in Ohio libraries and is currently the Executive Director of the Conneaut Public Library in Conneaut, Ohio. Kathy also works as a producer, writer, actor, and director for one of Ohio’s cable access channels that provides programming to households in Ohio and Western Pennsylvania.