PCI Webinar with Di Herald
Getting Started with Reader’s Advisory
Putting people together with the books they really want to read may be the best win-win situation in public libraries. It is how libraries can show we are a discovery service not merely a delivery service.
Learn the whys and how’s of Reader’s Advisory with practical ideas you can immediately put into practice.
After this webinar participants will:
- Understand what is meant by both direct and indirect reader’s advisory
- Have a lexicon of terms to talk about books with readers
- Know how to start a dialog to help readers discover what they want
- Be able to identify resources to help them put people and story together
- Have tools to help with both direct and indirect reader’s advisory
Diana Tixier Herald ~ Biography
Di’s six-word memoir is “Read to live. Live to read.” Books and libraries became her best friends when, as a child, she changed schools 13 times. Before earning her master’s degree in librarianship and information management she was a library volunteer, clerk, paraprofessional, and a bookseller. She’s worked in public, academic, school, and special libraries but her passion is public libraries.
She is the series editor of the Genreflecting series from Libraries Unlimited/ABC-Clio and is the author of several books on genre fiction for reader’s advisors including Genreflecting, Teen Genreflecting, Fluent in Fantasy, and Strictly Science Fiction. She has presented on reader’s advisory and genre fiction at conferences in three countries and at many national library and genre conferences. Di is currently the Program & Outreach manager at Delta County Libraries in western Colorado.