- This event has passed.
Writing Effective Email
May 6 @ 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm EDT
Challenge: Have you been on the receiving end of an email with an endless, useless recipient list? Have you struggled through the overlong, cryptic prose and twisted logic of an email only to realize you have received a message whose business does not concern you? Have work situations led you to believe that email may not always be the best way to reply? Problems in email have led librarians to conclude that staff often use email inappropriately—either as a weapon for assaulting readers from a safe distance or as an excuse to avoid communicating in person.
Solution: Writing Effective Email starts from the premise that email is writing, requiring attention to the standards of language, especially in the workplace. This webinar focuses on the greatest challenges facing employees who sift through numerous emails daily and offers concrete suggestions for creating emails and responding to them efficiently and accurately. From there it moves to practical remedies of purposeless, incomplete, unorganized, and insensitive messages—to ensure that emails are reader-focused, deferential, thorough, and easily scanned. It closes with guidelines for managing the email system and for checking critical emails when high-quality communication matters most.
Scope: This webinar includes the following learning points:
- Defining the major email writing mistakes
- Writing purposeful, read-focused emails
- Employing a comprehensive checklist for quality controlling your most important emails
- Using a standard, recognizable structure to assure reading ease
- Checking emails for a respectful tone without losing the central points
- Collecting tips for filing, attaching, copying, forwarding, and receipting
Learning Objectives: Attending this webinar will enable you to:
- Master the unique challenges of email.
- Compose purposeful, reader-focused emails.
- Employ strategies for creating a courteous tone.
- Manage your email system effectively and efficiently.
Philip Vassallo, Ed.D., has designed, delivered, and supervised communication training programs for more than 20,000 executive, managerial, supervisory, administrative, and technical professionals internationally over the past three decades. He is the author of the books How to Write Fast Under Pressure, The Art of E-mail Writing, and The Art of On-the-Job Writing. He has edited major reports for the US government, City of New York, and the corporate world. He also writes the blog Words on the Line, which offers practical tips for developing writers. Dr. Vassallo holds a doctorate in educational theory and has taught internationally, recently as a faculty member of the Beijing International MBA program.